holding time

“Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still.”
Dorothea Lange (1895-1965)

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Goal 14: Capture the Street Scene

Street photography is how I first learned to use a camera. I cruised the Drag in Austin day after day, night after night, trying to get the hang of things and trying out new techniques. It's no surprise then that I first thought of going to the streets to practice before going after the big goals (volunteering, formal shoots, etc.) Especially because I live in downtown San Diego, the streets I frequent everyday are a great place to start working on my documentary & portraiture skills. Homelessness is obviously a good social issue to cover, as is socio-economic inequality, gender roles, teen parenthood, etc.

Although I know exactly what street photography is (yes, it's completely self explanatory--don't over think it), I never knew people actually referred to it as "street photography" until I started doing research for this blog. I never thought of it as an actual genre. Nonetheless, I know it quite well, it's a favorite of mine and I am eager to put some of my research on the subject into practice.

So, I am amending my original 13 goals to include #14 - Put together a set of [awesome] street photos (about 20 photos) and work on getting them into Hardcore Street Photography's pool on Flickr.

I am heading the the library now to get some photography books. Hoping to find some good stuff--excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment