holding time

“Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still.”
Dorothea Lange (1895-1965)

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

El Comienzo

Disclaimer: All photographs posted to this blog were taken on my Nikon Coolpix P90 camera while set in manual mode and manual focus. I do not edit any photographs posted to this blog.

Although I have not posted any photos--YET... I have been taking 1 photo a day as planned. Below are my photos from July 19, 2010 to July 21, 2010. I expect to post daily photos beginning tomorrow.

Monday, July 19, 2010
Monday morning, on my way to work. There is a very colorful restaurant on the corner of 5th & Nutmeg called Barrio Star. The food is not very great (it's called Barrio Star... yeah) but the colorful decor is interesting. So... 1st shot... Eeeek! And you thought I was exaggerating about the dark/light/blurry/blobby-ness... So, I adjusted the aperture and tried again... Still very light... Using a larger f-stop... nice... Now that I have the a grip on my aperture, I move on to close ups I think a different angle may have helped this shot, but I didn't think of it at the time... Maybe if the shot was from below looking up with less dirt and more color...?
I really like these last two... mostly bc of the color.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010
I made an excuse to get leave the office... and this is what I found... I am very please with the contrast in this white on white building. I should have left some of the terra cotta roof tiles in the shot to give the shot more color though...
I pass by this house just about everyday... Capturing the interestingness of the place was harder than I anticipated...
I am extremely pleased with this shot :D Pulled off a little depth of field here without even trying... I should have taken note of my aperture here, but I didn't. I was excited about trying for another depth of field shot but was a little disappointed that I couldn't recreate the effect here

Wednesday, July 21, 2010
A little street photography for you...


I am still working up the courage to ask people on the street for their portraits... So, this is shy Amanda pretending to not be taking photos of people on the streets of downtown SD...



That's all I have for now. As you can see there is a lot of work to be done here--this is just the beginning. I am getting better at guessing the correct aperture, but I still need work on getting closer to my subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment