holding time

“Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still.”
Dorothea Lange (1895-1965)

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Wednesday, August 11, 2010: Light & Shadow

Finding the "right" light in any shot is what separates the novice point and shooter from the skilled photographer. To do this one must aware be of the type of light they are working with.

These two shots were taken around mid afternoon so the sun's light is pretty harsh. Both shots were taken looking up almost directly at the sun.

In this shot the flowers provide a really nice and colorful silhouette. Bugambilias en el Sol

In this shot there are a lot of bright objects reflecting off the sun's direct light. My goal was to get the [____, I forgot the name of the instrument?! Comment if you know the answer] at the correct exposure. So, even though the bright objects in the top right corner of the shot seem over exposed, the instrument is at the correct exposure and in focus.

Hanging with Succulents

I am getting better at controlling the aperture and shutter speed in manual. I still need to work on manual focus and depth of focus. I'm currently working on setting up a proper portrait studio in my apt for my shoot of the week. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. It's true, finding the light is definitely one of the most difficult things in improving photography. I have struggled with it but I find that experience is the only thing that gets you closer to perfecting it. I found that over MAy, June and July, I took about 15,000, the most I had ever taken in that amount of time and I got a lot better with learning about lighting. I want to start shooting on Manual because that's what everyone tells me is the 'expert' level and should be one's goal. My biggest struggle is indoor photography. I absolutely abhor flash but it seems impossible not to use it indoors. Without it, the pictures always appear orange or reddish, and grainy. I think if i get better with manual I can correct that a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey, check out this link. Excellent tips on starting with manual mode!

    Digital Photography School
    http://digital-photography-school.com/

    Happy shooting!

    ReplyDelete